Fishing Troubles! Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Troubles! Please Help!

Been trying to fish in Bastok Mines, cause I wanted to collect rusty bockets for the NPC - Foss to raise Bastok fame, but I'm having a problem with it, and asking for someone to try and help me please?

I haven't done any fishing ingame for ages, but I'm just trying to get my fame levels all level with each other.

So anyway, I'm stood there in Bastok Mines with a composite rod in my hands, and lugworms as bait, but it's really horrible cause it's not working for me!!
    The little little fishing bar at the bottom of the screen won't go down for me!

I've checked out both these sites :
    Clanwind
    Kida's Fishing Database
    Both of them say that lugworm and comp rod can be used, but I'm having no luck with them!

My current fishing skill level is level 5.
    Can anyone reccomend a good rod and lure combination for this, so I can sucessfuly collect rusty buckets to raise Bastok fame with no problems please?
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    C('')('')

Re: Fishing Troubles! Please Help!

rusty buckets hmmm..... You already know how to deplete fish stamina right? Seeing you already have fishing skill to 5.

Well, try halcyon rod. The bait is fine.

Also, once you catch your first few buckets, put them in your mog house and use them to furnish your room. This will give you some fishing moghancement to help you increase item catch rate.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Snowball View Post
      So anyway, I'm stood there in Bastok Mines with a composite rod in my hands, and lugworms as bait, but it's really horrible cause it's not working for me!!
      The little little fishing bar at the bottom of the screen won't go down for me!
      Did you get your fishing level up to what it currently is back a few years ago, before they changed fishing? Because the stamina of items should be easy to deplete, unless you misunderstand fishing mechanics and are just doing it wrong.

The only issue items should give you is that they don't move around much. So your rod may stay in the middle for long periods of time. If that happens... well, you just have to be patient and wait for it to swing to one of the sides.

I tend to pull up plenty of rusty items when I target other stuff. You can't specifically target for items. Since you're fishing skill isn't capped on Crayfish yet, you might as well be using Little Worms to try for Crayfish skill ups. Or you can go to Bastok Markets, and use Little Worms to potentially pull up Moat Carp as well. Don't worry, you'll get rusty buckets as well.
      Lyonheart
      lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
      Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
      Fishing 60

Lakiskline
      Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
      Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
      Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
      Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

My suggestion is to try wooden/lighter/smaller fishing rod and try rig (the ones with multiple hooks) as your lure. The cheapist rig is prefer, in case you break your line or the rod. A wooden/light fishing rod helps wearing the stamina. Hume Fishing rod is my favorite.
        Server: Quetzalcoatl
        Race: Hume Rank 7
        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Well if you are only fishing buckets to raise fame, might I suggest doing the quest Only the Best in Selbina?

What you'll need is 5 La Thine Cabbage, sold from regional Vendors. The Nation that Controls Valkurm Dunes, has the Vendor. These Cabbages are around 25 gil, when you turn in 5 of them, you'll get 100 gil back.

Take as much cabbage with you as you can carry
          Head to Selbina
          Infront of the Selbina Weaver Guild, there is an old guy
          Talk to him to get the quest (only have to get the quest once)
          Trade him 5 cabbages
          ???
          Fame (would say profit, but you are losing 25ish gil per trade)

If you have OP warp to the Dunes, it'll make turn in that much faster.
          /em wave hand across chest

/s This is not the sig you are looking for. . .

Comment

Moved to Fishing discussion.

If the bar on the bottom of the screen isn't budging, you aren't fishing correctly. Are you tapping the left/right keys on your keyboard to counter the motion of the fish/item?

Icemage

Comment

Thanks a lot for all your replies. There are some very helpful suggestions here, which I will definitely take into consideration. I changed to a hume fishing rod, which I'm now finding to be a little more easier on depleting the bar at the bottom of the screen. Though it's still not 100 % easier, but I'm finding it more so than the comp rod at least, which is good. a little more better for me. I'm thinking of trying out the mithran rod too when can I get to a AH that sells one.

I rather like Jei's advice on placing buckets in your mog house too, to help on item catch rate, (aswell as furnishing) since I DID get a few times when it told me that I didn't catch anything. But unfortunately, right now, my mog house is just about ready to spill over the brim, it's so full up with stuff. *sigh!* I could only just about manage to fit 3 in there. I cannot find much of a way to get round this right now, but when I get my next level of fame and can afford the furniture (the bed) to go in there, I should have a bit more room then.

But now I'm having another problem, and I don't understand why it's happening to me. (or in this case... "NOT" happening, as I will just explain!)

The NPC to trade the buckets to, is "Foss" in Bastok Markets, right? (he stands very near the massive fountain, not very far from the AH) Well just now, in my attempt to trade one to him, he won't take them for some reason, and I don't undertand why! And it's not that I'm trying to trade more than one either, cause I know that he takes just one at a time.

I read somewhere that this quest is one of those..... zone out, and back in again types between every trade. (just like the Bastore Sardine one in Port Windurst. Is there one like this in Sandy too? I haven't checked that one as yet) So I thought that might be what my problem was. I had already zoned in/out of the areas surrounding the inner city itself, and when that didn't work, I tried zoning completely out of the city to South Gustaberg and back.

Well what D'ya know?..... That didn't work either!

Does anyone know what my problem is with "Foss" here please?

Also, I've been collecting a few zeruhn soot in the mines, (trade 3 each to NPC in Bastok Mines) so that's my other idea I plan on doing.
              Last edited by Snowball; 06-13-2007, 07:13 AM.
              (\ /)
              ( . .)
              C('')('')

Comment

Originally posted by Freedan View Post
                Well if you are only fishing buckets to raise fame, might I suggest doing the quest Only the Best in Selbina?

What you'll need is 5 La Thine Cabbage, sold from regional Vendors. The Nation that Controls Valkurm Dunes, has the Vendor. These Cabbages are around 25 gil, when you turn in 5 of them, you'll get 100 gil back.

Take as much cabbage with you as you can carry
                Head to Selbina
                Infront of the Selbina Weaver Guild, there is an old guy
                Talk to him to get the quest (only have to get the quest once)
                Trade him 5 cabbages
                ???
                Fame (would say profit, but you are losing 25ish gil per trade)
                If you have OP warp to the Dunes, it'll make turn in that much faster.

I'm trying to get all my fame levels even with each other before I get started on that one again.

So my fame for Sandy is 6, for Bastok it's 5, and for Windy I think it's either 3 or 4.
                (though I'll just do Windy's own quests seperately for that one, since the Selbina quest doesn't raise Windy fame) The Selbina sheep quest doesn't even them all out, if you catch my drift.
                (\ /)
                ( . .)
                C('')('')

Comment

Reply- you need to trade the amount he requests all at the same time.
                  Beast 69 Blue 42 War 36 Pld 35 Red 35
                  Thf 30 Nin 23 Rgr 17 Sam 15

Cook 100 Wood 52 Fish 31 Leather 30 Cloth 30
                  Smith 22 Alchemy 20 Gold 16 Bone 15

Comment

The quest is for 5 buckets, iirc, so you need to trade him 5 at the same time, not one by one.
                    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                      The quest is for 5 buckets, iirc, so you need to trade him 5 at the same time, not one by one.
                      ah yes, this rings a bell now

Thanks for the sig, Selphiie!!

FFXI Xbox360 user ----- BLM 63 / RDM 36/ WHM 42 / THF 25
                      DRK 26 / BST 21 / DRG 17 / WAR 17 / MNK 10 / SMN 9 / PUP 4 /
                      BLU 1 / PLD 1 / BRD 1 / RNG 1 / NIN 1 / SAM 1
                      Bonecraft 63 / Leathercraft 19 / Fishing 7 Windhurst Rank 5

Comment

Originally posted by Heartily View Post
                        Reply- you need to trade the amount he requests all at the same time.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                        OOPS! Oh no! Silly me. Heheh..... I feel a little embarrassed now.
                        Okay, a double, and tripple check (using somepage.com) reveals that you are both definitely correct there.
                        I'm very sorry about that!

I hadn't done any fishing in FFXl for aaaaages, least of all for buckets.
                        I guess I just forgot how many I was supposed to turn in.
                        Oops!
                        (\ /)
                        ( . .)
                        C('')('')

Comment

Working...
                        X