Breeding a Hybrid Chocobo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding a Hybrid Chocobo.

My newest chocobo finally reached day 29 today, and has become an adult. I am now trying an experimental phase to breed a hybrid chocobo, but not a jack-of-all-trades chocobo.

Goal: To obtain a chocobo with high Intelligence and Strength.
    Staistics at day 29:
    Strength: A Bit Deficent
    Endurance: Average
    Intelligence: Poor
    Chrisma: Poor

20-Day Care Plan
    Dig For Treasure[5]
    Carry Packages[5]
    Dig For Treasure[5]
    Listen to Music[5]
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Re: Breeding a Hybrid Chocobo.

Seriously, I don't know how people do it... No matter what I did my chocobo's stats would never go higher than Poor. Eventually it ran away from home =(

Comment

lol

I'm thinking about going more balance plan for my next chocobo too. Since I want my chocobo to concentrate on physical stats, I think I'm trying to give him the more intenst physical plan cycling with the less intense memtality plan on a daily basis. This is so the chocobo will still be ahead on its physical stat and the mental stat won't take it down too much. I don't know if the physical plan will just off set my mental plan or not tho >.> those huge arrow pointing down really are scary.

What I'm thinking is something like this

Child : 2 days walking, 1 day music.

Teen : 2 days carrying packages, 1 day listening to music.

Adult : 1 day message, 2 day package, 1 day exhibiting to public.

My goal is to get to at least out-standing strength, at least impressive endurance and hopefully average the other 2 too....
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I would avoid mixing mental and physical... I already went up that road and it's not pretty. Travel at your own peril.

Comment

Well, my line of thinking was if I could travel fast enough, endurance wouldn't matter so much. The special thing about the two careplans I am using for STR and INT is the STR one drcreaces REP(CHR), and the DIC(INT) one decreaces END(VIT) so theoreticly I should end up with lowish VIT and no CHR whatsoever, but with high STR and INT.
          Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
          A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
          More Sig:

Comment

Mixing care plans will not result in any stats above poor possibly a bit deficient. tried that with my first chocobo, second one has been physical focus with str at average and end at better than average.

Some people are looking at focusing raising mental stats first then switching to physical in adulthood. Not sure how that will work but may try that on my next chocobo.
            The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

sigpic

Comment

I don't see how you guys have the time to raise a chocobo. I'm always busy with everything else. Yet, I still get nothing done.

I have my whistle, thats good enough for me.
              Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
              I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

well its only takes about 10-15 minutes to do a daily check and feed your chocobo. I usually do this before heading out and doing other stuff.
                The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

sigpic

Comment

I'll be more specific this time. These are approximations, but I have observed the "treading water at 0" effect personally.

Originally posted by Jei View Post
                  Child : 2 days walking, 1 day music.
                  Predicted Result: Walking will completely cancel the music. Music will reduce the effects of the walking by 1/2 resulting in a Poor/Poor/Poor/Poor Chocobo @ Teen.
                  Net Care Plan result: "1 x Walking, 2 x Rest"

Teen : 2 days carrying packages, 1 day listening to music.
                  Carry packages will completely cancel the music. Music will reduce (slightly) the effects of the packages resulting in (at best) Substandard/Substandard/Poor/Poor at early adult.
                  Net Care plan result: "1.5 x Carry Packages, 1.5 x Rest"

Adult : 1 day message, 2 day package, 1 day exhibiting to public.
                  Exhibition will cancel 50% of the package carrying and will, itself, be completely negated.
                  Net careplan result: "1 x Deliver Messages, 1 x Package, 2 x Rest"

Predicted final stats: Impressive to First Class Strength at retirement, Below Average to Impressive Endurance, Poor Discernment, Poor Receptivity.

The Tier IV Careplans (Deliver/Dig/Act) are very powerful and the Tier III's are admirable as well (Carry/Exhibit). Since you've got some of that in their you might end up on the high end of the prediction, but if I were to venture a wild guess, I'd say it'd be somewhere more towards the middle/low end, but I won't be able to make a "good" prediction just yet...

What you can do is combine the following mix:

Basic Care
                  Deliver Messages
                  Digging For Treasure
                  Acting in a Play

A full combination will result in a very high discernment increase rate, a low increase rate on strength and receptivity (probably the same rate as say... a tier 1 careplan like Taking a Walk) and Endurance will remain at Poor. The Basic Care should only be used if the chocobo's affection degrades too much or you need to do something "special" like search for the whistle or get a story from a Long Walk (you can take 2 long walks without Gregarious/Chocolixir on Basic Care).
                  Last edited by Sabaron; 11-27-2006, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Are you sure the negative effects are equal to the positive effects? That's one thing I wanna find out D: The arrow pointing up and down are equal size but they might be just a representation for us to see instead of an accurate numerical effects. And there's the happiness of chocobe too, if you can keep it very happy, the positive effects may out weight the negative effects by a lot.

well, 1 way to find out I guess.... I'll make an experimental chocobo then D:
                    Child : 1 day walk, 1 day music
                    Teen-Adult: 1 day packages, 1 day exhibit.
                    Feed : Sandoria carrot? I heard this thing raises every stats equally. And obviously greens to keep my chocobo happy.

Now if I end up with all poor chocobo at day 60, then we know they *really* cancels out each other >.>

I can try this on my mule.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Haggai View Post
                      I don't see how you guys have the time to raise a chocobo. I'm always busy with everything else. Yet, I still get nothing done.

I have my whistle, thats good enough for me.
                      EXACTLY!!!

I would do it if I could raise it from Jeuno, but having to go to Windy every day is just too time consuming.

Although since I attained my Teleport scrolls last week it wouldn't be too bad, but still. Also having BLM and WHM at 36 makes getting anywhere without my chocobo fairly easy.

Thanks for the sig, Selphiie!!

FFXI Xbox360 user ----- BLM 63 / RDM 36/ WHM 42 / THF 25
                      DRK 26 / BST 21 / DRG 17 / WAR 17 / MNK 10 / SMN 9 / PUP 4 /
                      BLU 1 / PLD 1 / BRD 1 / RNG 1 / NIN 1 / SAM 1
                      Bonecraft 63 / Leathercraft 19 / Fishing 7 Windhurst Rank 5

Comment

Originally posted by Takira View Post
                        Mixing care plans will not result in any stats above poor possibly a bit deficient. tried that with my first chocobo, second one has been physical focus with str at average and end at better than average.

Some people are looking at focusing raising mental stats first then switching to physical in adulthood. Not sure how that will work but may try that on my next chocobo.
                        Hmm I always varied the care schedule... Maybe that's why I never got anything above Poor then.

Comment

I certainly see your point with the careplans canceling out, but the reason i even dare to try this is that one careplan won't cancel out another. In case I wasn't clear:

Digging for Treasure increaces INT, but lowers VIT. Each time I use this careplan, INT should increace and VIT should decreace, with no effect on STR and CHR.

Delivering Messages increaces STR, but lowers CHR. Each time I use this careplan, STR should increace while CHR should decreace, with no effect on INT and VIT.

If you still think it's a bad idea I guess I'll stop, I just thought this would be interesting.
                          More Sig:

Comment

To Onionsoldier
                            I don't think your idea is bad--I haven't tested it, but it is one of the viable raising schemes I proposed a while back, so go with it and you'll probably get, at the very least, admirable results.
                            I'm going in a different direction with my next set of chocobos--see below.

To Jei
                            What I'm trying to say is that I've already tried similar plans to what you have described and the results are absolutely abysmal. If you try it I give you a 98% chance of failure at day 45 (the day I retired DuchesseRose, my "wide spectrum" chocobo). The only way to do a wide spectrum chocobo is according to Onionsoldier's proposed Tier III plan or by using only basic care, but experiment at your own risk. ^^ The "down" arrows are at the very least very similar in size to the up arrows as long as you're looking at the same "tier" careplan (enough that your care plans will cancel each other completely leaving you at Poor on all attributes). The difference between the tiers is order of magnitude. The medium arrows are approximately "an order of magnitude" bigger than the arrows of the tier below it as are the very big arrows--the very big arrows are extremely powerful.

Here are the tiers as I see them, numbered according to "order of magnitude".

Tier 0: Basic Care
                            Tier 1: Take a walk, Listen to music
                            Tier 2: Exericse alone, Exercise in group, Play with children, Play with Chocobos
                            Tier 3: Carry packages, Exhibit to the public
                            Tier 4: Deliver messages, Dig for treasure, Act in a play.

An "order of magnitude" is the "power" of some scalar:

2^5 (or two to the fifth power)

5 is the order of magnitude of the scalar (2). I don't know what the scalar is, but in order for the careplans to be worthwhile, they have to at least roughly follow this, and from my observations and various results posted here and elsewhere, it appears to be the case. Please note that I'm "iffy" on the Tier 1/Tier 2 group.

------------------------------------------------

1. A chocobo's attributes with respect to its color or lineage are relatively immaterial over the life of a chocobo as they can be made in any way you like (with obvious restrictions based on careplan).

2. A chocobo who does not have high mental abilities cannot learn special abilities such as Canter, Gallop, Bore, Burrow, and Auto-regen, but it can inherit these from its parents.

3. A chocobo's color is likely determined by breeding (as is hinted at by the breeding boy in Upper Jeuno).

Therefore, the best saleable chococards are (a) those that have one or more special abilities and (b) that are colored.
                            The best chocobo to create for breeding is a chocobo intended to possess abilities. From two parents with the same abilities, produce a third chocobo with the desired attribute grouping for riding. Ability chocobos are good at digging, but an ability chocobo without digging abilities (Bore/Burrow) is not a worthwhile riding chocobo.

Here is the proposed (next) careplan I'm working on.

Phase I: Selection for Color
                            1) Acquire multiple matched, colored chocobo cards with No Abilities (e.g. virgin color chocobos) or if not possible (too expensive) acquire eggs for my mules (using stealth meds to move to/from jeuno).

2) As soon as it is apparent that a given chocobo does not possess the desired color... Give it up to the stables.

3) If the color evident in the line isn't "perfect" (e.g. not all the progeny of the matched chocobos are the same color) then the generation is "tainted"--take the colored chocobos from the line at adulthood and rebreed asap--retiring the entire generation at maturity. Discard "runts" and continue the line by mating the progeny (yes, it's inbreeding but that's how pedigree dogs are made).

4) Once the line is purified, we have a genuine, pedigree line of colored ability chocobos.

5) Retain the virgin purebred color mating pair cards for sale and retire the line.

Phase II: Abilities
                            1) Using the purified color line, create a third line with two distinct breeding pairs (e.g. 2 male and 2 female). Discard any "extras".

2) Place both pairs on a strictly mental care plan and teach one pair Gallop/Canter and the other pair Bore/Burrow. Emphasis is placed on the acquisition of stories over care plan attribute maximization. Minimal mental attributes for story retention only.

3) Once the abilities are learned, retire the line.

Phase III: Maximization of attributes

1) Use the two purebred color/ability chocobo pairs to generate two more mating sets--one for G/C and the other B/B of course. Discarding extras to generate two breeding pairs (one pair of each type).

2) Focus on primary/secondary attribute maximization. Using a focused careplan, raise the relevant (mental/physical) attributes of the two breeding pairs to the "threshold level" after which using the Basic Care plan will result in maximization of the primary attributes and the secondary attributes. These chocobos will be the first line carried all the way to "forced retirement".

The process is now complete and we have two viable lines of pure-bred color/ability chocobos suitable for sale. Since we maximized the attributes of the chocobo's in the last phase, we should get excellent results from breeding subsequent generations.

Possible Problems

1. It is not possible to purify color to the point where there is a 100% probability that the color will be inherited.

2. It is possible that progeny will not inherit both (or even one) ability of the parents.
                            Last edited by Sabaron; 11-27-2006, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a grand plan.
                              How are you collecting red chocobo cards? I shouted around whitegate and no one answered me today D:

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Working...
                              X